The bug in your water that could make you go blind

Here's something to keep an eye on, especially if you wear contact lenses: There's a bug turning up in the water that can eat your eyeballs right out of your head.

It's a single-celled parasite called Acanthamoeba, so small you can't see it with the naked eye.

But that doesn't mean it's not there.

It's found in tap water, showers, swimming pools, and more -- and since it loves to snack on dirty contact lenses, anyone who wears the things faces a much higher risk of infection.

That infection starts with red, itchy, and painful eyes. Then, things go blurry. And once the bug eats through the cornea, you're in the dark... perhaps permanently.

Some people need weeks of treatment or even a cornea transplant -- and even then, there's no guarantee you'll ever see right again.

Luckily, you can slash your risk of infection without giving up your contacts. Just make sure you follow some common sense -- like carefully washing your hands before you put your lenses in and take them out.

Clean your lens case regularly, and never use tap water as contact lens solution -- you may as well give the bug an invitation into your eyeball if you do. Even ordinary contact lens solution won't do the trick here, so be sure to use one that contains hydrogen peroxide.

Finally, keep Acanthamoeba and all the other bugs, chemicals, and drugs out of your water by installing a reverse osmosis water filter. Since this amoeba can strike in the kitchen, bathroom or even your shower, install the filter where the water enters your home to make sure every tap is protected.